Thursday, March 25, 2004

But First I'll Just Look Through All My Burda Magazines...

While hubby is playing XBox college football, I thought I'd take the opportunity to actually get some sewing done. Well, no sewing was actually done, but I did manage to clean some things up. But then I got sidetracked by the Burda WOF(that's World of Fashion) magazines. Since I have issues from August 1999 until present, at about 20-30 patterns per issue, that makes, um, well, a lot of patterns! You'd think this would be all the patterns I'd ever want or need. Nope. If you want basic, ordinary looking clothes, you won't often find them in WOF. I decided to browse the magazines to look for a casual skirt pattern suitable for the pink denim I bought from Casual Fabrics. Oops, did I say that I bought more fabric? Anyway, every WOF issue has skirts, but they weren't exactly what I wanted. I did find one that I think will work. The one thing I realized looking through the patterns, is that I think it's a good idea to make the Burda clothes. They're different. They've got style. And IMHO, different, and definitely style, is good when it comes to sewing your own clothes. The last thing I want is to wear something that looks like I flunked Home Ec.

The doorbell rang last night. Was it Jehovah Witnesses? Kids hocking candy? Yet another person who wants to buy my 14 year old Honda for their teenage kid to mod? Nope. The UPS man. My Emmaonesock fabrics were delivered last night. The blue sweater knit wasn't quite what I expected. It looked better in the picture actually. It has a white backing so I don't think it'll work for the hoodie I wanted to make. The ribbed knit is pretty nice but not a cuddly soft sweater knit. It's linen, not cashmere, so I should have expected that. It's also more ivory than I figured, but that's good because I already have a white sweater knit I bought earlier from Emmaonesock. The soft polyester knits are fabulous. They melt like buttah!. The black stretch satin fabric is also nice and will make a really great pair of dressy pants - if I ever get around to it.

I could kick myself for not including a yard of another sweater knit with that order. I only need a yard because it coordinates with some striped sweater knit I bought recently. I did think about it, but I was thinking about buying it to make a shell to wear with the sweater. I plan to make a zipped cardigan out of the striped knit. But I have a purchased shell that would match just fine, so I didn't buy the coordinating fabric. But I recently saw a picture of a striped zipped cardigan with a solid collar in a coordinating fabric. That'd be perfect! I must do that! But I can't justify spending $9.50 for one yard of fabric (actually only need about 1/2 or even 1/4, but she won't sell less than a 1 yard cut) and another $7.00 to ship it. A coordinating collar is not worth $16.50. So what did I do? Select another fabric to make it worthwhile of course! I had been eyeing an onionskin (think lightweight polyester) for this bias cut dance dress. If the onionskin is sold out (which might very well happen), then I'll have to come up with another plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment