Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Slow Progress

I finished the citrus skirt. It's cute...and bright! Now I need to make some shirts to go with it. I don't have any bright orange or bright green things in my closet at the moment and a plain old white shirt is kind of boring. I have a few fabrics to make shirts out of: two green and two orange. One green is a rayon green and white check I bought at Britex. I envisioned a tank so I only bought one yard. The other green I bought last night at Hancock. Yes, another 2 yards added to the stash. It's tiny green and white check fabric that I had bought for the lining of the purse I'm making out of the citrus fabric remnants. I thought it would look really cute in a short sleeve blouse. I picked up two New Look patterns for blouses last night as well. I looked through all of my Burda WOF magazines and could not find the blouse pattern I wanted. Unbelievable. All those patterns. But I think the Burda WOF patterns are great for fashionable things and not necessarily basic garments, so I'm not all that surprised. I was going to use a Burda shirt pattern I have, but I didn't like the square bottom of the hem. I plan to wear this untucked. I'd like to make a similar blouse with some orange and white striped cotton I bought at Hancocks earlier. I have an orange lycra linen that I'd like to make into a blouse, but I don't know how best to take advantage of the lycra in it. It's a woven with a lot of stretch.

I try to get a bit of sewing in each night while my husband entertains himself on the XBox. But last night I had to go to the fabric store to get interfacing - for the shirts and for the purse. I spent a long time looking at Joann's and finally bought 5 yards of Pellon lightweight fusible for the shirts. I also picked up a yard of Pellon Shirt Tailor fusible - it's supposed to be good for cuffs and collars. It has tiny holes in it and I'm not sure how stiffly it will adhere so I didn't want to get it to use for shirt fronts. I also bought a yard of the heaviest weight sew-in they had for the purse, but I wasn't all that happy with it so I went to Hancock to see what they had. Their stock was pretty much the same except they had a mystery roll of some stiff stuff that almost looked like cross stitch cloth but the weavings weren't regular enough and it wasn't cheap enough at $2.69/yard to be that. I think it will work better than the Pellon stuff, so I bought a yard (plus it's mega wide, unlike the measly 22" wide Pellon). I didn't have any time to sew when I got home though. Maybe tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:47 AM

    Hi there Lori. I was surfing the search engines for purse and handbag related websites using the keyword beijo purse and found your awesome page with the title this post. I am looking for ideas on how to improve my own site using different keywords and was amazed how easy it was to find your site using the keyword beijo purse. Perhaps we could do a link exchange at some point. Anyway, thanks for your time and I’m glad I found your site.

    ReplyDelete