Tuesday, September 06, 2005

A lovely weekend...for us

I had a lovely, long weekend in Mendocino. I relaxed. I walked on the beach. I shopped. I knitted. I enjoyed delicious food. And I thought about the poor people who've lost loved ones, pets, homes, possessions, and jobs in the Gulf Coast. I couldn't not think about them. Our room did not include a television and I didn't read any newspapers, but that didn't matter because the images from last week were and are still firmly planted in my mind. I've done what I can - donated some money. I wish I could do more but I'm neither skilled in rescue or medicine, nor am I located near the disaster. Four years ago we were vacationing in Oregon and Washington when terrorism struck and rocked our nation. How does one enjoy a vacation when you know others are suffering? I did enjoy it, but feel guilty that I did. I guess I shouldn't feel guilty - our enjoyment of our vacation didn't add to the suffering and if we'd cancelled the trip, the B&B, stores and restaurants would not have benefited from our spending. But to the people of New Orleans, Biloxi, Gulfport and the surrounding communities...I'm sorry that you could not enjoy your Labor Day weekend. And I'm sorry for the tragedy that has befallen you.

I debated about using my blog for talking about the hurricane's devastation. Since many bloggers have, I really didn't have anything new to add. I will say that the crafting/blogging community has joined the effort to raise money through sales of handcrafted items or by making quilts for the now-homeless victims.

Also, if you don't have an emergency plan for yourself and your family, then you should. Living in earthquake country, I'm poised for "the big one" but sadly am not completely prepared. We have food and water set aside but I'm embarrassed to say that the other supplies are not amassed. Here's a checklist for suggested items to have in your emergency kit.

I was going to post more about what I did this weekend, the yarn I bought, and my new knitting project, but I'm not in the mood anymore. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment