Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Is it Tuesday?

One minute I'm in Yosemite, with a couple feet of snow and big, fat flakes falling from the skies and now I'm in D.C. where it was apparently in the 80's yesterday. By the time I got here the winds were announcing the rapid decrease in temperature that comes with a cold front.

I was a camera-snapping crazy person last weekend but alas, all of the pictures are still on the memory card and not on the computer. Then I had to pack and fly across the country for a meeting. At least I got to knit. And stop at G-Streets on the way to my hotel. Yes, I know. I wasn't supposed to buy any more you-know-what. But there's something about G-Streets. My Burda jacket was from G-Street fabric. My Jalie polo was from a bargain one $2.97 yard of G-Street fabric, and the kitchen curtains were from seven yards of $2.97 per yard fabric. G-Street has some surprising fabrics in their bargain pile, if you look (and it is a pile). But their other fabrics are nice too, albeit a bit on the pricey side. But sometimes fabric calls to you. I bought two pieces of rayon, keeping in mind that I need a dress for an upcoming wedding. Yes, I know I only need one dress, buy I couldn't make up my mind.

I did get a lot of knitting done on the plane ride. Not as much as I hoped but it wasn't entirely because my seat-mate wanted to chat. I admit at first I was thinking please shut up and let me just knit and zone-out to the tunes on my iPod for the next 4 1/2 hours, but I was nice. The plane was quite an international mix of people due to a group from the Defense Language Institute in Monterery who were going on a tour of Washington. The seat mate to my left was from Bangladesh and the one on my right was from Poland (yes, I got the middle seat -- ugh). Mr. Bangladesh...his name was pronounced sigh-eed, but I don't know how you'd write it...anyway he was very talkative. Which was kind of nice. He was so surprised I was knitting. He said only old women knitted under trees (huh?) in his home country. He was also surprised that I didn't have children and he wanted to know if my marriage was arranged (his was). He offered me a bit of a Bangladesh snack - it was like spicy fried rice spiced up with curry. It was in little metallic pouch, just like a bag of chips. It tasted good too! He was interested in my iPod, asked if it was 1 "gee bee" (don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to gigabit as a "gee bee") and said he was thinking of buying one on the internet. He was impressed by the fact you could by so much on the internet. He's in an 11-month program at the language institute and this was his first trip to the US and first to Washington. The whole group looked very happy, nice, and eager to be on the trip. It was a refreshing change from a plane load of business travellers.

So now I'm here, sitting in a hotel room, listening to American Idol on TV and blogging via the free hotel internet. My knitting is in my big tote bag/purse and I might just sneak it out tomorrow during the review if I can. I've found that knitting actually helps me concentrate on listening. But I've never knitted in front of co-workers, except for when waiting to board an airplane, so I'm going to have to wait and feel out the scene. Maybe I'll just take long breaks to the ladies room!

No comments:

Post a Comment